Wednesday, August 8, 2012

EST. 19XX

Ok, here goes... (if you're reading this and have no idea who MGK/EST is or what I mean by the movement, you'll be confused lol.)

So after a really amazing night finding out when MGK's Lace Up is being released in stores (October 9, 2012/Lace Up Day) and hearing that EST will be releasing a mixtape Monday, August 13, 2012 called EST4LIFE, something crazy started to happen. I wasn't directly involved in it, and maybe that doesn't give me the right to comment on it, but I will anyway. It appears that there are members of the EST family that have a problem with HOW LONG others have been a part of the movement. When I first saw someone tweet about people talking shit I didn't really pay attention to it. After three people that I follow felt like they had to defend themselves against the negative people/comments, I thought to write something about my feelings. As far as I know the idea behind EST, the MEANING of it is "Everyone Stands Together"... how, if that's our motto, are people going to talk smack about anyone that claims EST as their family? I haven't been a fan since Kells spit his first verse but does that make me LESS of a fan? Does that make it any less important that I hear truth in every single word that man says? Did my length of being a fan make my reaction to hearing See My Tears any less profound? (I cried like a baby because I felt like he was taking words from my mind and saying them). I love the idea of EST and I love having a group of people with a common goal, to support the hell out Kells and the guys AND each other. I loved the idea of belonging to a group of people that has struggled like I have. I feel like I could really make some good friends on this journey, I think that as much as K is on a journey we are too, and I was excited to connect with a ton of laced up people on Twitter and Facebook. I didn't always feel this way though. The reason I have just become vocal on Twitter and Facebook about my love for all things MGK & EST is that I thought I wasn't good enough to be part of the movement. I always considered myself part of EST but I didn't know if it was ok to love him as much as I do and be vocal about it due to the fact that I only became a fan just before SXSW last year. I thought I would be called out as a poser, I thought that I wouldn't be welcomed. Once I watched more Kellyvision episodes, listened to more of his music as it came out, kept feeling the way I felt when I heard his words, I knew that there was a reason I felt the way I did. I have only spoken to a few members of the EST family as of yet but I hope that I can find more laced up people in Chicago. I introduced my best friend to MGK's music and she loves it to. We both claim EST as our team. I might not be able to see every Ustream, but I sure do try. Wild Boy isn't the first song of his I heard, but I do like it. I might not have seen him every time he was here in Chicago, but I did see him the last time he was here and I RAGED HARD. I might not be able to eat, sleep and breathe the movement but it's in my HEART. I have been sick and in & out of the hospital for the past 4 years, this movement helped me feel like there was hope. It gave me something to believe in and showed me that there are tons of others out there bound by a common love for a regular kid like us. I don't think the amount of time you've been a fan of MGK and EST is the point. I don't think that shows people how LACED you are. I think how you represent the team shows how laced you are. I think how MUCH you love Kells, the guys, the music and the movement show how laced you are. I LOVE THIS FAMILY! I may not be in high school, or even college age anymore, I am an adult with a great love for an artist, his music and his team. I don't know Machine Gun Kelly, Kells, K... But I feel like I would really like to chill with him if I had the chance. If I met him I would tell him how much he has helped me get through some really tough shit. I'm not "in love" with him the way a teeny bopper loves Bieber. I love him in the way that a person loves a poet or author. His words speak to my heart and I think that's the whole point. If you consider yourself part of EST, I consider you family and that's my bottom line. I don't ask people how long they've been a fan, I don't care.

Lace Up! 

xoxo
HG www.twitter.com/purpleturtles33

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! I'm Pat and i'm from italy. Just wanted to say that i really appreciate what you wrote, i felt like "yeah, she knows about how i feel, she speaks from her own heart" and felt less lonely. Here where i live there's no people that know about MGK's music and EST movement, so if you would be so kind to add me on Facebook ( my name is Pat Shiver) i would really like to talk with someone about that stuff, because MGK's words are helping me very much, and now your words helped me too.
Hope to get in touch with you!
Pat

Unknown said...

I love this. It doesn't matter how long you have listened to MGK's music its how much you respect him and his words. Thank you it was a great read :) Lizzy Rowe

Unknown said...

Amen!!!! Iv listened to mgk for a few years now not since he first started but quite a while and I think he is genius yeh iv been through some shit in my life hasnt everybody??? But what mgk stands for and the truth in his world helped me to overcome a lot!! People who think u cant be part of the est family just cz u havent known who mgk was or listened to him since he first started are stupid the guy was undiscovered durh!! Xx

MGKEVERYDAY said...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/EST-Family-19XX/271502713024567?ref=hl

Our official EST Family 19XX facebook page please like and join

kolten schwalb said...

nice words. mgk is my life and i've only been listening to him for about a month now. I'm 13 years old and i just want to talk to some other people who know who mgk is. I've kinda spread the mgk virus to where i live in rushville, illinois, yet nobody can quite connect to it like i can so when i talk to people about it it isn't the same.i fully support th 19xx movement and what it stands for. so to all you kells out there, lace up!

Unknown said...

I found this by googling up some stuff. I'm newish to the EST movement/family. I found kella through a friend at the end of 2013 and I've been sticking around since. I get this post because I'm afraid of falling in the category of 'not a fan enough' so thank you for posting this. I dont feel alone.
Lace up!

T-Bun said...

Whats mean dobule x's in "19xx"?

Decent Adhesiveness said...

I love the movement. Am a kenyan and 18 and damn, they think am crazy posting MGK everywhere.. EST is great more than a family coz when am feeling low, EST gets me high. Salute to the EST captain.
Are there any formal ways of joining the family coz am mad about thiss.. I just wanna be the ambassador of the EST family to kenya.